The safety, quality and nutritional value of the food we eat is of fundamental importance to our health and wellbeing. Food safety and nutrition are therefore key concerns for the environmental health profession.
The CIEH works to ensure the availability of safe and wholesome food for everyone, and to promote the benefits of healthy eating. We do this by:
- Informing and educating the public
- Working in partnership with government and stakeholders
- Encouraging and promoting compliance with food legislation
- Training EHPs and staff working in food businesses
- Disseminating good practice information
- Sponsoring research to provide a robust evidence base for health improvement
Specifically, we work to promote:
- The production, transportation, storage, preparation and sale of food in hygienic conditions
- The provision of food that is free from harmful contaminants
- Accurate, informative and comprehensive food labelling which can be easily understood by consumers
- The provision and consumption of healthier foods that are affordable, accessible and locally available
- Food production and procurement based on principles of sustainability
We also work to promote good practice in improving both food safety and diet and nutrition. An example of this is our support of the Food Vision project which promotes good practice local food projects.