The safety, quality and nutritional value of the food we eat is of fundamental importance to our health and wellbeing. Food safety and nutrition are therefore key concerns for the environmental health profession.
The CIEH works to ensure the availability of safe and wholesome food for everyone, and to promote the benefits of healthy eating. We do this by:
- Informing and educating the public
- Working in partnership with government and stakeholders
- Encouraging and promoting compliance with food legislation
- Training EHPs and staff working in food businesses
- Disseminating good practice information
- Sponsoring research to provide a robust evidence base for health improvement
Specifically, we work to promote:
- The production, transportation, storage, preparation and sale of food in hygienic conditions
- The provision of food that is free from harmful contaminants
- Accurate, informative and comprehensive food labelling which can be easily understood by consumers
- The provision and consumption of healthier foods that are affordable, accessible and locally available
- Food production and procurement based on principles of sustainability
If you are a member with an interest in food, you will enjoy complimentary membership of the Institute of Food Safety, Integrity & Protection (IFSIP), which is a new membership organisation connecting all those who work to keep food safe, honest and healthy. It is built around sharing knowledge and insight to promote high standards of professional practice and new ways of working.
IFSIP was created for the public good supported and run by the CIEH under its charitable objectives.
We will keep you updated as IFSIP develops, and invite existing CIEH members to take up their complimentary membership in the Autumn of 2014.
If you are not an existing CIEH member, you can register your interest at Institute of Food Safety, Integrity & Protection (IFSIP) and we will invite you to join in the Autumn of 2014 (NB there will be a membership fee for non CIEH members).
Further information, news and publications are available on our Policy notes and documents page and the EHN website.