The safety, quality and nutritional value of the food we eat is of fundamental importance to our health and wellbeing. Food safety and nutrition are therefore key concerns for the environmental health profession.
The CIEH works to ensure the availability of safe and wholesome food for everyone, and to promote the benefits of healthy eating. We do this by:
Specifically, we work to promote:
- The production, transportation, storage, preparation and sale of food in hygienic conditions
- The provision of food that is free from harmful contaminants
- Accurate, informative and comprehensive food labelling which can be easily understood by consumers
- The provision and consumption of healthier foods that are affordable, accessible and locally available
- Food production and procurement based on principles of sustainability
If you are a member with an interest in food, you will enjoy complimentary membership of the The Institute of Food Safety, Integrity & Protection (TiFSiP), which is a new membership organisation connecting all those who work to keep food safe, honest and healthy. It is built around sharing knowledge and insight to promote high standards of professional practice and new ways of working.
TiFSiP was created for the public good supported and run by the CIEH under its charitable objectives.
TiFSiP Surgeries is a member-only benefit that has been developed for members to pose technical questions directly to an expert panel, who will share their experiences, strategies and advice. These Surgeries will enable members to gain insights and knowledge on specific subjects, which will ultimately promote higher standards of professional practice.
The next Surgery will centre around food safety and food fraud. Check back soon for more information on when it will take place and who the experts involved will be.
If you are not currently a member of TiFSiP and would like to know more about joining, please visit the TiFSiP website for further information.