HomeAbout usPolicyProfessional DevelopmentTrainingEventsMembershipMedianavigationend 

Information for tenants

If you are renting from a private landlord and you are experiencing poor housing conditions, your local council environmental health department may be able to help you. Contact details can be found on your council’s website which you can access via the GOV.UK website. If you can’t find an environmental health department, try searching under ‘private sector housing’.

If you are renting from the council, your local council environmental health department will not be able to help you directly, though they may be able to offer you advice on how to get help. For direct help, you should contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or local Law Centre.

Before contacting any of the above you may find it helpful to read one of the following booklets:

You may also find it helpful to look at our page on the Housing Health and Safety Rating System 

Other useful information notes and guidance

DCLG. Renting a safe home. A guide for tenants 

Dealing with infestations in privately rented property
Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology. July 2011

Student Accommodation Codes of Practice (ANUK) 

Please note that the CIEH can not provide housing advice to members of the public.