Cuts to local authority budgets and a declining skills base for inspection and regulation have exposed local authorities to the risk of failing to fulfil their statutory duties. This course is designed to help local authorities to carry out their housing–related powers and duties better.
By attending this workshop, delegates will gain greater understanding of how to use the statutory nuisance provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 affecting residential premises and the powers available under the HHSRS provisions of the Housing Act 2004. It will also discuss the recent Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation Act) 2018 and outline the fitness standards.
- Look at resolving problems with residential property – using Housing Act 2004
- Address the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation Act) 2018 and the new fitness standards
- Consider the implications of case law and decisions of the First Tier Property Tribunal
- Investigate housing problems in the context of the relevant law and demonstrate how to use legal powers appropriately and effectively.
Who should attend?
- Technical and Environmental Health Officers
- Environmental Protection Officers
- Housing Officers
- ASB Teams
CPD: 5 hours 30 minutes