If you wish to gain the Certificate of Registration from the Environmental Health Registration Board (EHRB) you will need to complete a Learning Portfolio and the CIEH Professional Examinations. Please note that this route to qualification will cease in 2020. Alternatively, you may wish to consider enrolling on our new chartered programme for Registration as a Chartered Environmental Health Practitioner. More information about these changes can be found in our EHRB FAQs.
The CIEH Written Exam will take place on Thursday 26 November 2020 using an online setting.
The format and timings of the exam remain the same:
- Open book exam
- Case study based, with a reading pack supplied
- Morning session - 2 hour reading time
- 1 hour break
- Afternoon session - 3 hour task completion time
Please note an extra 20 minutes will be built in before the morning session, and 10 minutes after the final session, for administrative purposes. Candidates with special consideration will have specified additional time/functionality where appropriate.
- PC or laptop with webcam and audio facility
- Internet provision suitable for constant webcam connectivity and email
- Zoom application
- A suitable package to open MS Word documents
- A PDF reader, such as Adobe
- Availability on the date and for the time period
- A quiet, private environment for the entire time period
If you have any queries or would like to discuss the new arrangements for the exam, for example, if you are unable to satisfy the candidate requirements, please get in touch. CIEH will supply comprehensive guidance on the exam process and arrange test connections after we hear from candidates.
Please contact CIEH Education Admin by Wednesday 4 November 2020 to secure your place at the session.
The examinations comprise of:
- Written Examination
- Professional Interview
A substantial Written Examination
The written exam is open book format and intervention based, covering at least two different environmental health intervention groups, i.e. Food, Health and Safety, Environmental Protection, Housing and Public Health. The exam is in two parts:
- This is the reading and preparation phase. This is the time for you to study the case file and any other appropriate materials and to make any notes that you feel will assist you in the afternoon session of the exam.
- This is the actual examination phase. At the start of this phase, you will be provided with the tasks you will be required to complete.
The interview will be based on a fictitious scenario where you will be cast in a role as a newly qualified environmental health professional. This need not necessarily be in the role of a local authority officer. It may be as a consultant, or as an advisor to a large commercial chain, or as someone working for the NHS etc.
- Application form for Professional Interview 2020
(Students who have completed a degree programme accredited under Curriculum 2011 are reminded that they must pass their PPP before applying for the Professional Interview)
Guidance and documents
Candidates are required to register with the EHRB at least 21 days prior to making an application for any assessment. We are now only accepting these registrations at our discretion. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to discuss this.
Additional guidance documents are available for CIEH members on MyCIEH.
Final assessment dates
Please refer to the application form for interview booking procedure.
Deadline for applications: 5 November 2020
Written exam: 26 November 2020 | Method: Online