We are pleased to announce the new members of our flagship Health and Safety Policy Advisory Panel.
CIEH has five member-led policy advisory panels covering key policy areas for environmental health; housing, environmental protection, food safety, public health, and health and safety. The panels include representatives from all regions and nations of the UK so that our work is informed by a variety of perspectives and experiences. Everyone on the panel is a CIEH member and works with the organisation on a volunteer basis.
To highlight the vital role members play within the organisation, and strengthen their voice and influence in shaping CIEH’s policy and campaigning activities, we have embarked on a refresh of all our policy advisory panels. This refresh has allowed all members who want to be involved to engage with us, and also to ensure that each policy panel has a diverse membership that truly reflects the wider profession.
Consisting of 20 environmental health professionals, the Health and Safety Policy Panel includes CIEH members with expertise across local government, private, third sector, and academia:
- Abigail Miller - Health and Safety Consultant, Fire, Health and Safety and Food Safety Management consultancy
- Alan Herbert - Director, Health & Safety Consultancy - Capita Real Estate & Infrastructure
- Andrew Foster - Freelance Consultant (Health and Safety, Fire DDA)
- Andy Radford - Freelance Health and Safety Consultant and Trainer
- Charles Spencer - Principal Health and Safety Consultant, WorkNest
- Denise Din - Head of Risk Management, Away Resorts Ltd
- Gill Hulme - Senior Environmental Health Officer, Conwy County Borough Council
- John Snow - Regulatory Services & Corporate H&S Service Manager, Salford City Council
- John Timmins - H&S Consultant/Director, South West Safety Management Ltd
- Jonathan Hayes - Risk Director, Moto
- Karen Allen - Environmental Health Manager HS&CP, Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council
- Liz Vann - Senior Environmental Health Officer, Torfaen County Borough Council
- Michael Howard - Senior Lecturer in Occupational Health and Safety, Middlesex University
- Robert McMillan – Director, MSC Auditing Ltd
- Rosemary Naylor - Environmental Health Officer, Ipswich Borough Council
- Stephen Butler - Environmental Health Officer, Barnsley Council
- Toby Thorp - Environmental Health Officer, City of London
- Tony Moule - Senior EHO, Wakefield Council
- Vanessa Wardle - Senior Regulatory Services Officer, Cheshire West and Chester Borough Council
- Victor Ktorakis - Senior Environmental Health Practitioner, London Borough of Enfield
We have successfully campaigned for better regulation of the cosmetics industry in England. The new Health and Safety Panel will play a key role as CIEH works closely with the government to design the new licensing scheme for practitioners announced as part of the Health and Care Act.
CIEH are members of the Health and Safety Executive’s Local Authority Health and Safety Practitioners Forum, and HELA.
Ross Matthewman, Head of Policy and Campaigns at CIEH, said:
“Being able to confirm this new policy advisory panel is a great step forwards for CIEH. Our campaigning work around the cosmetics industry in England has achieved notable success over the last 12 months, and this expert panel of environmental health professionals will enhance our ability to further influence government policy.
Health and safety covers an array of policy areas across the country, and we will be working very closely with this new panel to ensure that the skills and experience of our members shape our activities across the board.”