CIEH has announced the new members of its flagship Housing Policy Advisory Panel.
CIEH has five member-led policy advisory panels covering key policy areas for environmental health; Housing, Environmental Protection, Food Safety, Public Health, and Health and Safety. The panels include representatives from all regions and nations of the UK so that CIEH’s work is informed by a variety of perspectives and experiences. Everyone on the panel is a CIEH member and works with the organisation on a volunteer basis.
To highlight the vital role members play within the organisation, and to strengthen their voice and influence in shaping CIEH’s policy and campaigning activities, CIEH embarked on a sweeping refresh of all of its policy advisory panels. This refresh has allowed all members who want to be involved to engage with CIEH, and also to ensure that each policy panel has a diverse membership that truly reflects the wider profession.
Consisting of 19 environmental health professionals, the Housing Policy Advisory Panel includes CIEH members with expertise across local government, the third sector, and academia:
- Anees Mank - Housing Development and Contracts Manager, Oldham Council
- Carlene M Thomas - Senior Setting the Standards Inspection Officer, London Borough of Ealing/Commissioning Alliance
- Dick Scott - Housing & Environment Consultant, Monitor BCS UK Ltd
- Ellis Turner - Senior Lecturer - Environmental Health - Programme Leader Msc Environmental Health, UWE Bristol
- Henry Dawson - Senior/Principal Lecturer, Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Ian Higgins - Health & Housing Consultant, The Health and Housing Partnership LLP
- Ian Sanders - Principal EHO, Hull City Council
- Jade Carter-Williams - Principal Housing and Health Practitioner, Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
- Janet Wade - Environmental Health Officer, London Borough of Camden
- Jill Stewart - Senior Lecturer in Housing & Environmental Health, Middlesex University
- Jo Smith - Private Sector Housing Manager, Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council
- Julie Liversidge - Operations Manager (Housing, Licensing & Compliance), Nottingham City Council
- Lindsay Shaw - Lecturer in Environmental Health, Ulster University
- Liza Wheeler - Environmental Health Practitioner, Brighton & Hove City Council
- Mark Hughes – Retired, Lifeskills charity
- Michelle Hughes – Investigator, Bristol City Council (NTSELAT)
- Paul Cowings - Housing enforcement officer (Freelance), Allerdale Borough Council, Copeland Borough Council and Richmondshire District Council
- Richard Tacagni - Managing Director, London Property Licensing
- Zena Lynch - Associate Professor, University of Birmingham
CIEH has been campaigning for a national landlord register for England to improve standards in the private rented sector and works as a key member of both the Fuel Poverty Coalition and the Renters Reform Coalition.
Ross Matthewman, Head of Policy and Campaigns at CIEH, said:
“We are delighted to announce the membership of our vital Housing Policy Advisory Group. The breadth of experience and backgrounds from across the country will strengthen our work as we embark on a full schedule of campaigning on housing standards and sustainability.
The refresh of our policy panels further highlights our commitment to ensuring that members are at the heart of our policy and campaigning work.”