Key milestones in the history of CIEH.
Edwin Chadwick publishes his landmark Report on the Sanitary Conditions of the Labouring Population of Great Britain.
The Public Health Act 1848 is introduced. This establishes a General Board of Health and marks the first acceptance of responsibility for the health of the population by government.
John Snow removes the handle from the pump in Broad Street, Soho, during London’s outbreak of cholera.
The Public Health Act 1872 is introduced and makes the appointment of medical officers compulsory in urban areas.
The Public Health Act 1875 establishes a coherent administrative machinery to deal with issues of health and sanitation locally. Local authorities are required to provide water, drainage and sewerage services.
The Association of Public Sanitary Inspectors is founded.
Edwin Chadwick is appointed as the first President of the Association.
The Association’s first provincial meeting is held in Birmingham.
Following a Special Meeting of the Association in July, the Association of Public Sanitary Inspectors became the Association of Public Sanitary Inspectors of Great Britain.
The Association’s Certificate of Incorporation is granted by the Board of Trade, and its name is shortened to the Sanitary Inspectors Association.
The professional journal of the Sanitary Inspectors Association, the Sanitary Inspector’s Journal, is published.
The Sanitary Inspectors’ Examination Board is incorporated.
The Women Sanitary Inspectors Association is formed.
The Ministry of Health is established.
Formation of the Royal Sanitary Institute and Sanitary Inspectors Examination Joint Board.
Report of the Working Party on the Recruitment, Training and Qualification of Sanitary Inspectors is published.
Sanitary Inspectors (Change of Designation) Act – changed designation from ‘sanitary inspector’ to ‘public health inspector’.
Following the change in designation granted by the Act of Parliament in August 1956, the members of the Sanitary Inspectors Association voted at an extraordinary general meeting on 11 January 1957 to change the name of the Association to The Association of Public Health Inspectors (APHI).
First Annual Report on Environmental Health published by the Association.
The APHI became the Environmental Health Officers Association (EHOA).
The EHOA became the Institution of Environmental Health Officers (IEHO).
The IEHO is granted a Royal Charter by Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council.
The Environmental Protection Act is introduced.
The IEHO was given consent by the Crown and the Privy Council to change its name to the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH).
CIEH issues its first Chartered Environmental Health Practitioner award.
The UK left the EU.
The Environment Bill is introduced.