Will you be a winner in 2020?
As CIEH President, I am really looking forward to judging the CIEH Excellence Awards for the third year running. After being so impressed by last year’s award submissions, I am relishing the opportunity to see a fresh raft of entries that demonstrate best practice in the field of environmental health.
This year, CIEH will be looking for outstanding entries across seven categories:
- Best Collaboration
- Best Environmental Health Project
- Best Innovative Environmental Health Solution
- Environmental Hero (Food Safety) - nomination only
- Outstanding Environmental Health Professional
- Outstanding Environmental Health Team
- Rising Environmental Health Star - nomination only
After discovering inspirational air quality champions in 2017, housing champions in 2018 and food safety heroes last year, this year's Environmental Health Hero category turns its focus on those who are passionate about Environmental Protection.
Winning a CIEH Excellence Award provides formal recognition of achievement which is a great way to reward and motivate you and your team. It can also help attract new business, clients or employees, while providing evidence to support tenders and bids. And, while winning is a great result, being shortlisted as a finalist is also an incredible achievement.
After a thoroughly enjoyable and successful event last year at London Marriott Hotel Regents Park, we will be returning this year to announce the winners on Thursday 19 November.
We want the CIEH Excellence Awards to be a platform that showcases all the amazing work taking place in environmental health. We also want it to salute the teams and individuals responsible for that work and share their fascinating stories. Therefore, if you are proud of the work that you, your team, or someone you know does, then I want to encourage you to enter or nominate this year.
To help you prepare your entry, read the tips below on what I, and my fellow judges, will be looking for in successful award submissions. I would also encourage you to look at the entries of our past winners.
What do we want to see in your awards entry?
Consider the following when preparing your entry:
- Tell your story – make your project come alive
- Context – set the scene
- Criteria – provide the information required for each of your entered category’s criteria
- Succinct language – remember you only have a specified amount of words for your entry
- Be clear – assume the judges have no knowledge of your project, initiative, career or organisation.
- Timeline – each category has a stated time frame. You may have undertaken work before the start date, but the judges will only consider activity between the stated dates
- Layout – separate your entry into clearly defined sections and focus on each one on one bullet point in the category's criteria list. This will help the judges consider like-with-like across all entries
Review the full list of award categories, and remember to nominate any friends or colleagues you think deserve to be recognised, whether they’re a rising star in the industry, or a Environmental Protection hero.
The final deadline for entries is Sunday 5 July 2020 at 5pm - please email us if you have any questions.
On behalf of the judging panel, I wish you the best of luck with your entry!