We are pleased to announce the new members of our flagship Environmental Protection Policy Advisory Panel.
CIEH has five member-led policy advisory panels covering key policy areas for environmental health; Housing, Environmental Protection, Food Safety, Public Health, and Health and Safety. The panels include representatives from all regions and nations of the UK, so that our work is informed by a variety of perspectives and experiences. Everyone on the panel is a CIEH member and works with us on a volunteer basis.
To highlight the vital role members play within the organisation, and to strengthen their voice and influence in shaping CIEH’s policy and campaigning activities, we embarked on a refresh of each of our policy advisory panels. This refresh has allowed all members who want to be involved to engage with us, and also to ensure that each policy panel has a diverse membership that truly reflects the wider profession.
Consisting of 17 environmental health professionals, the Environmental Protection Policy Panel includes CIEH members with an array of expertise.
- Adam Bucior - Environmental Health Team Leader - Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council
- Caroline Currie - Senior Environmental Health Officer - East Lindsey District Council
- Chris Hodson - Environmental Health Manager - Preston City Council
- Christopher Fry - Chair of Trustees of Environmental Protection - Environmental Protection UK
- Colin Cobbing - Director - Pinnacle Acoustics Consultants Limited
- David Carr - Lead Scientific Officer - Dacorum Borough Council
- David Williams - Retired EHP
- Kristian James - Principal Environmental Public Health Specialist - Public Health Wales
- Lynda Stefek - Senior Manager Air Quality & Environment - Transport for Greater Manchester
- Matthew Clark - Programme Manager - Air Quality - Hertfordshire County Council
- Neil Shellard - Pollution Control Officer - Flintshire County Council
- Paul McCullough - Principal Environmental Health Officer (Environmental Protection) - Armagh City Banbridge & Craigavon Borough Council
- Richard Allard - Senior Environmental Protection Officer - Mendip District Council
- Simon Clothier - Environmental Studies Team Co-ordinator - Leeds City Council
- Somayya Yaqub - Head of Health and Safety - London Borough of Ealing
- Steve Braund - Team Leader Strategic Environmental Protection - Buckinghamshire Council
- Tim Glews - Environmental Consultant - TG Environmental Consultants
We have been vigorously campaigning around the UK Government’s Environment Act, calling for a stronger Office of Environmental Protection and more ambitious targets for improving air quality.
We also campaign to ensure that air quality and other environmental protection factors are a key consideration for local planning systems so that aims of long-term cleaner energy and carbon emissions reduction goals are achieved.
CIEH is a member of two environmental coalitions: the Healthy Air Campaign, currently coordinated by Client Earth, and the Environmental Policy Forum.
Ross Matthewman, Head of Policy and Campaigns at CIEH, said:
“Environmental policy is a key focus for CIEH and we are delighted to announce this new advisory panel of highly-skilled environmental health professionals to shape our campaigning.
We were heavily involved in efforts to strengthen and improve the Environment Bill. Now that it has become an Act, we will continue our efforts, working closely with coalition partners to ensure that this unique opportunity to safeguard and enhance our environment is not lost. Our members will be integral to this drive.”